10.16.2010

"Humble pie tastes like crap."

There is something profoundly humbling about house cleaning. As a “Happy Friday” present to my {now full-time working} mom, I cleaned the house yesterday. Vacuumed, dusted, swept, did dishes, mopped, scrubbed bathrooms, wiped mirrors, emptied garbages, and washed all the laundry. There is something so degrading about cleaning your family’s toilet. It made me angry, actually. I can’t wait until an opportunity arises when I can use the phrase, “I’m not gonna’ deal with your crap anymore!” on one of my siblings. I have so much respect for my mom and all stay-at-home mothers. I am so sorry that you all don’t get the acknowledgement you deserve for the thankless work you do.


It is also humbling to spend consecutive Friday and Saturday nights at home in my living room while my teenage siblings all go out on fun sleepovers and dates. Holy COW I need a friend in this town. I have a few prospects—but I find myself apprehensive when it actually comes down to building friendships. I’m such an introvert.

What else has been happening? I took my grandma to the chiropractor this week. She’s 76, 85 pounds, and when I leave her house after spending time with her I find myself trying to find excuses to use words like “davenport” and “Frigidaire” in casual conversation. I really love her. And she paid me in olive oil for painting her shutters… I realize that sounds really strange, but this olive oil is, like, straight from the hills of Italia. Bueniiiiiisimo!!!

On the job front, I filled in for an emergency shift at the coffee shop today and managed to pay off my cell bill for this month between my tips and hourly wage. Not bad. I’m picking up an application at a local gym and a gas station tomorrow. Here’s to hoping. I am beginning to make plans for the future. I’m debating saving up $7,000 so I can go to the Emmaus School of Biblical Studies in North Carolina next fall…or joining Reviving Nations as an English Teacher in a foreign country for a year starting in January or this spring. If you’re reading this please pray that God would just dramatically open or shut doors for me because I am a proven idiot when it comes to discernment. Thank ya. 

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you my friend. That garage doors would be open for you. and when it is open all your waiting will have been to properly prepare you for what is to come. During this time of "rest" you are being molded into something amazing to prepare you for your next journey. I miss you! and can't wait to hear what is next.

    ReplyDelete