10.08.2010

"I steal words from Oswald Chambers sometimes."

 Here are some of Oswald Chambers’ words from his {incredibly profound, a forenamed} daily devotional:

“Isn’t it humiliating to be told that we must come to Jesus! Think of the things about which we will not come to Jesus Christ. If you want to know how real you are, test yourself by these words— “Come to Me . . . ” In every dimension in which you are not real, you will argue or evade the issue altogether rather than come; you will go through sorrow rather than come; and you will do anything rather than come the last lap of the race of seemingly unspeakable foolishness and say, “Just as I am, I come.” As long as you have even the least bit of spiritual disrespect, it will always reveal itself in the fact that you are expecting God to tell you to do something very big, and yet all He is telling you to do is to “Come…”

What?! Sometimes things in my life speak so consistently and are intertwined so deeply that I just have to pretend like it’s not really happening. If I look at the last 2 months of my life in Mitchell, I have felt as though I was waiting for something BIG to happen when in reality I have been being required by my own boredom, exasperation, and powerlessness to move closer to my Lord and Savior Jesus. I love the words of the Bible that talk about how we are to “keep in step with the Spirit.” Thing is, I never realized before that the Spirit [NEVER STOPS MOVING].

Yesterday, I spent the morning in town and on my way home could not get one of my particular neighbors out of my head. Don’t get me wrong, she is my friend and I love her and we’ve shared intimate conversations, but there was no reason to be thinking about her at that particular time. When I got home, I walked over to her house—barefoot-- expecting nothing in particular. As I walked down my driveway I thought to myself, “But God, nothing’s wrong with me today. {many times in the past I have gone to her door when I am broken-hearted or need a pick-me-up}…Hmmm, I guess I’ll just say hi and go home.”

When I reached her front door I walked right in, but she was on the phone so I busied myself with her son for a few minutes. However, as she hung up the phone and gave me a hug, I watched pain and tears surface in her eyes as she asked me with a smile, “Well, what are YOU doing here? I’m having one of those days…”

God is that real. That near. That active. He is so intimate and close that He sent me to my sister in Christ because she needed someone. He SENT me there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment