11.09.2010

"I'm not who I used to be."

Sometimes you just can’t go back to life like you knew it…not when God is constantly moving you to somewhere different. This last weekend I got the chance to go back and choreograph/teach for a show choir my old high school teacher now directs—well, now she’s my friend J [some parts of growing up are fun]. I had a great time and unfortunately pulled muscles in my neck that I didn’t know existed. For someone with 2 inches of hair, I was workin’ it. apparently.

Mostly I loved my time spent in MN because I got to spend time with two people I love [and eat some incredible food]. The job was a much-appreciated job even though my body has been protesting since Sunday morning. Thing is, the show choir part was just details. My life used to revolve around competition shows, dances, front-row positions, competition drama, and all the trappings of pride that came with it. This weekend showed me that I am tragically past that. They sing? They dance? Cool. But it doesn’t matter in life. Those kids [and I] could have chosen to play basketball, kick soccer balls, or speak in debate. I hope they all have fun; and, that they are able to walk away each spring happy with what they accomplished but otherwise unaffected. I spent too much time as a stereotypical “Gleek”. Thank God I got over myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment