1.06.2011

week.{CUATRO}

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

What a whirlwind my life seems to be. Sometimes I find myself far too busy living it to find time to sit and write it down. Typing up this letter is truly an act of discipline this afternoon. I hope you all had a warm, meaningful Christmas with those you love—and I hope you had a chance to thank your Father for His gift, His Son, who gives us life everlasting if we believe in and follow Him.

 It seems this week was a kick-off for Stage Two of God’s plan for me here—Operation Fledgling: Kayla Flies Solo.

As I mentioned in my last letter, Kristin’s friends Jayne and Garryl (a couple from her home church in Minnesota) came to stay with us for a week starting last Thursday. Due to an unfortunate miscommunication from Spanish to English, Kristin and I arrived at the airport to greet them 3 hours early…but if you think people watching at the Sioux Falls mall is fun, you should spend a few hours in the Santo Domingo airport! I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I met Jayne and Garryl (who were much younger and prettier than I had imagined) and left the airport with them wondering why in the world my path was crossing with this couple in the middle of the Dominican Republic. I will admit that I wasn’t overjoyed at the thought of sharing my one and only friend with them for the week…but God is powerful. And He is good. And He always has a plan.

It didn’t take more than a day for Garryl and Jayne to begin speaking prophetic words to me. They told me that God is tearing down walls in my life to rebuild me in this time. “But Zion said, ‘The Lord has forsaken me, the Lord has forgotten me.’ ‘Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands, your walls are ever before me.” Isaiah 49: 14-16. They spoke out of Isaiah, Zephaniah, and Zechariah (I can’t seem to turn my Bible past Isaiah these days). They told me that my work will be long, and God is teaching me patience. WOW! Remember: these are complete strangers!  They confirmed that I need to talk more with Chappy and his ministry here in the prisons of the Dominican Republic. They prayed for me and ministered to me and took time to listen to my scattered thoughts and feelings. God has humbled my simple, prideful heart through them and I am going to be sad when they leave tomorrow.

December 25th this year was the strangest Christmas I have ever experienced. We ate our grand meal on Christmas Eve, so while Carlos took Kristin and her friends on a tour of Centro Cristiano Shalom’s ministry in Hato Mayor, I spent a really fun day in the kitchen with Teresa and Nati. We made a giant turkey with oranges inside (they think putting stuffing in the bird is gross) and a potato/apple salad with rice and beans. We had a few little candies for dessert, but in all honesty, they tasted like children’s grape flavored Benadryl medicine. Let’s just say I didn’t indulge very much in dessert this year! To give Carlos and Teresa a break, we took care of our own meals and let them have the day as a family. We made a big brunch and supper later that day, but nothing special. Only with the Holy Spirit could four strangers like us spend a relaxing, enjoyable Christmas day doing absolutely nothing but talking, cooking, worshipping, and playing dominoes. Christmas night we invited Carlos’ family and some people from church to watch the Nativity Story movie with us outside with a sheet and projector out on the basketball court. It was a chilly night, but the story was powerful and afterwards we sang some carols in Spanish and English by candlelight. Simple and calm. I did not miss one bit of the hustle and bustle of Christmas time at home—only my family.

On Sunday, the day after Christmas, the entire congregation went out to the new land to spend a day playing, relaxing, and worshipping the Lord! I can’t tell you all how clean and beautiful the facility looks already since we saw it in November. Much still needs to be done, but every square foot was filled with people playing volleyball, basketball, baseball, flying kites, sitting and talking, running, and playing dominoes. It was so fun to see the people from church in a different setting—like they were becoming “real” people to me.  Along with Pastor Carlos, Jose Miguel (the man who always stood in front at church, clapping with a lot of gusto…gray hair…raspy voice…chubby) seems to see himself as my father here, and he is always one of the first people to hug me and ask me how I’m doing when he sees me. He also seems to have taken it upon himself to teach me how to play dominoes (and win). So far that’s only resulted in me losing ridiculously to Pastor Rudolfo, Pablo (Kilo 16), and the other men. I think they tolerate me because I smile a lot and they are afraid of Pastor Carlos.

OH yes! And I almost forgot, Sunday the Holy Spirit began to move in me. Much to my dismay, it manifested itself in sobs…I bawled like a baby…and I didn’t even know why I was crying. For those of you who don’t know me that well yet, I hate crying. And the only thing I hate worse is crying in public. On Sunday, I was absolutely soaked in sweat because I was trying so hard to hold back the tears. I was a sweaty, swollen-faced mess. Instead of ‘La Americana’ I am now ‘La Loca!’ Even if I could have explained in English why I was crying (which I couldn’t have) the poor, sweet people who dared to ask me what was wrong only walked away very confused as I could only look at them and shrug my shoulders. The crying didn’t stop on Sunday though, and actually my eyes are still a little swollen from tears this morning. I’m trying to embrace this new wave of the Spirit in my life. Now that it’s been happening for nearly a week, I truly think that the Spirit is cleaning me, building a new altar for the Lord in my heart, and I am grieving things of my old-self that I am not even consciously aware are being stripped away...but okay—enough psycho-babble!

On Monday I left on my own—without Kristin, Jayne, and Garryl—to go to a camp in La Romana with a bunch of people from Pastor Carlos’ church for a retreat of sorts. I packed a pillow, skirts for 4 days, and all my insecurities and set off in the bus hoping for the best. The things that God revealed to me are very personal in nature, and I’m not sure that everyone would benefit if I shared them, so I won’t. I will however tell you that I made good friends, taught some kids how to float/swim, I learned more Spanish, played dominoes, I struck out on my own, made myself uncomfortable, was made uncomfortable, felt the touch of the Holy Spirit, saw physical demonic activity, took a shower in a bucket, played my guitar, ate too much food, reached the end of what I thought I could handle, (was taken a little bit further), and received personal words from the Lord. We just got home today and I truly feel like I’m “home.” I feel cared for as an individual, like people see me, and I am soaking wet with the rain of the Holy Spirit. Guys, I really feel like I am home. If you’re interested to hear a little more about what the Lord is speaking to me, I’ll try and elaborate a little more in a personal email. I am still waiting for a clearer vision from God for what steps to take next, but Garryl’s words are ringing in my ears, “Your work here is long. God is teaching you patience. You are going to need patience.” I think that means my work here, in Hato Mayor, is long.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! We will be bringing in the New Year celebrating and praising at church tomorrow night! I hope you all have a chance to give your next year to the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment