9.06.2010

"I'm not that big of a deal."

I am 22. A college graduate. I still don’t know what my “calling” is in life. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve prayed about this and tried my options, but {professionally speaking} I am only a bachelor’s degree away from where I was in 2006 when I graduated high school. I As I went into college, I had a feeling that I was starting a journey to discover what God REALLY wanted me to do with my life. I enrolled in college with a general degree. Soon after I began reading course catalogs and major/minor listings at my college with the expectation that I was just going to know what I was going to do with my life when I finally saw it on these lists in black and white.

It sounds so stupid now…but I was ready for nothing less than a scene right from the Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers. Intense music, lots of sparks, yelling out, “Marine Biologist!” {like Kimberly the pink ranger used to yell out, “Pterodactyl!!”}, as my dolphin or manatee Zord came flopping up towards me in the background…minus the synthetic body suit, I suppose. My thighs were regrettably not made for pleather.

My point is, it never happened. I never had an “AHA!” moment when I decided to major in Social Work and Spanish. I have held jobs that ranged from building houses in Juarez, Mexico to serving coffee in small-town Sioux Falls. I have found moments of joy and drudgery in all of it. And now I’m graduated, and it should come as no surprise to me that I have no specific calling as I look for a job. I am grateful for my college education, but I acknowledge that it wasn’t my destiny to be a social worker. I’ve learned a lot but I’m also over $20,000 in debt. Jesus calls me to love and He’s making it pretty clear that I can do that anywhere, doing anything. I’m just supposed to abide in Him no matter what. 

No comments:

Post a Comment