9.02.2010

"Food has been a really crumby friend."

confession time: I spent 15 minutes in the candy aisle of Walgreens today. I walked out of the store empty handed, devoid of sugar {and love}, but I roamed the lonely aisle for a quarter of an hour today as if standing at a meeting place, waiting for an old friend that never showed to meet me. I left feeling alone and dejected.

Most anyone who knows me knows that I have a laundry list of food allergies that drastically limit my diet. Anyone who knows me well knows that I have issues with food that go deeper than hives. Let’s be honest people: I don’t love food because I enjoy its taste in my mouth when I eat it. I love {&hate} food because when I put it in my mouth it sprouts little legs and arms and dances with me when I am happy, entertains me in my boredom, rallies behind me in my anger, and holds me when I am sad. Knowing that, perhaps you can now understand why I was so disappointed today when it didn’t do any of these things.

I say this to attest to the constant working of the Holy Spirit in my life—work that I am not even conscious of until one day {like today} when I nonchalantly enter into my daily routine and find something has changed without my knowledge. Kind of like when you sit down at the piano without sheet music to play a song you’ve known for years, and halfway through the song you lose your place mentally and you just can’t pick the song back up no matter how hard you try because you realize you don’t play the song by notes anymore but by the memories in your fingertips.

I really tried to “pick up that song” with those Swedish Fish today in Aisle 7, but I couldn’t no matter how hard I tried. It’s like the quote by Oswald Chambers I have at the top of this blog: “You will never cease to be the most amazed person on earth at what God has done for you on the inside.”

Thanks be to God for showing me today that food has been a really {crumb.y} friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment